Saturday 20 February 2010

Various: Eargasms Crucialpoetics Vol. 1 Sampler (Ozone) 1997


This is one of my favourite hip hop EP's and features some of the finest moments by the hip hop elite. Closer in spirit to the Last Poets than Dr Dre, this is pretty leftfield stuff. Even if you are not a hip hop fan, you will be interested by this.
None of these tracks have appeared anywhere else to my knowledge. This EP is a sampler from the album of the same name. I have only seen it once when it first came out and at £22 for an import CD, I decided to give it a miss, so who knows what other goodies were on there. Every track is seriously good but without disrespecting any of the other artists, there are 2 standout moments for me - Saul Williams & Mos Def.
Saul Williams drops a seriously deranged rap over a sparse modern classical piece with some human beatboxing finding a groove in there. I remember playing this out a couple of times and it freaked pretty much everyone out. Listening back now, I can understand why and the passing of time hasn't made it any less challenging. Its future music, but I don't know when this future will be. It is to rap what Archie Shepp was to jazz.
Mos Def is on a jazz tip here with the sparsest of backings but his delivery is stunning. He sounds scarily like Gil Scott Heron here. How did we get from here to him starring in a film with Jack Black? Very strange.

A1. Rha Goddess - My Pen (Remix) 4:34
A2. Saul Williams - Twice The First Time 4:31
A3. Bobbito The Barber - The Cucumber 3:18
B1. Mike Ladd feat. Company Flow - Bladerunners 5:44
B2. Mos Def - A Soldier's Dream 5:25

1 comment:

  1. Wow I just came across this post and I wanted to thank you for the love given to this compilation. My name is Marco Jengkens and ack in the day I used to go by n8tiveSun and I produced Eargasms, it was my project. I'm glad that it stood out to you and i hope you check for the part two of Eargasms I am starting production on in the spring of 2018. One Luv..MarcoJengkens

    ReplyDelete