Monday 9 November 2009

Do Make Say Think: Besides EP (Resonant) RES001 (1999)



Hard to believe it's 10 years since this came out. Do Make Say think were originally noted for sharing members with the mighty Godspeed You Black Emperor, but have established themselves far beyond an offshoot project in the intermediate years.
Back at this time I was promoting nights at the 13th Note Cafe in Glasgow where I was attempting a fusion of post rock and electronica to a tiny audience. Just a couple of years too early - if I had stuck at it I would probably have been quids in.
Anyway back to the music...This release came on the Resonant label and these tracks have never been released anywhere else since, so its a bit of a rarity. Best track for me is 'Our Man in Havana'which is on a stoned dubby soundtrack vibe.
I was really excited by the early days of post rock with the likes of the early Tortoise gear, Labradford, Godspeed and those cool little 7" labels at the time. After years of living & breathing dance music, this was my first foray back to anything remotely 'indie'. In fact, for me, guitar music hasn't really developed beyond this era.


No comments:

Post a Comment