Wednesday 4 November 2009

Welcome to Afrotronica

Welcome to Afrotronica, my first (belated) foray into the world of blogging.
Why Afrotronica?
First and foremost - this is a blog about music. Music that has influenced, inspired or intrigued me. After buying music for nearly 30 years and DJing for 15, you start to see patterns emerge in what you like. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music but it comes down to 2 things - rhythms and electronics. For me all rhythms come from Africa in essence while electronics have always spoken to me more than any guitar riff. In an era where I Tunes allows you to create new genres all the time - Afrotronica was spawned.
When I first started buying music it was on vinyl (mostly 7"), before moving into CD's in the late 80's (bad move!!). As the dance culture exploded in the early 90's I embraced my beloved vinyl all over again and until the last couple of years it was my format of choice. However, times change and I do feel some of my mates who still dogmatically ignore digital in favour of vinyl are a bit like your embarrassing uncle who still has his 78RPM's. With this is mind, expect to see some old unavailable vinyl releases making their debut digital format before they disappear into the vaults of history. Elsewhere I will publish current listening habits, review new and old music, reminisce about the 'good old days' as well as the rantings of a sad muso rapidly approaching middle age.

No comments:

Post a Comment